Grey Lynn residential parking scheme
Auckland Transport is planning to consult on a Grey Lynn residential parking scheme in October. The scheme will be based on the recently installed Ponsonby residential parking zone. Streets in the zone have P120 time restrictions with exemptions for residents and business owners in the zone holding permits (currently $70 per year).
Waitemata Local Board chairwoman Pippa Coom is an advocate of the scheme and feels it will benefit the community and wider Auckland, where the focus should be on public transport options, rather than driving into the city. “The expectation that you can find free, unlimited parking in central Auckland needs to end. It’s not good for businesses, it’s not good for locals.”
Rather than being implemented on a street-by-street basis, the proposed scheme will cover zones within Grey Lynn. Residents can apply for an annual permit to park in the zones for $70 a year and coupons will be available for visitors and trades people. Otherwise, it’s short-term parking for everyone else.
More details here Residential parking zones
Or here Parking and road rules
Parking zone features
- The time restriction for parking spaces within the zone is typically 2 hours, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (excluding public holidays).
- Residents and businesses within the zone can apply for permits and coupons that exempt eligible vehicles from the time restriction.
- Anyone can park for up to 2 hours without a permit or coupon.
- Parking permits are issued based on priority – find out more about permit allocation.
- Daily coupons give local residents, businesses and their visitors the ability to stay longer than the time restriction. Residents will receive 50 free visitor coupons per year.
- New developments and homes built after the notification of the Auckland Unitary Plan (30 September 2013) are not eligible for permits – find out more.
- To ensure parking spaces are available, the number of permits issued is capped at 85% of the total number of spaces in the zone.
- Vehicles that park within the zone for longer than the permitted time without a valid permit or coupon may be ticketed.